Whether you go for the fairy tale castles, wondrous ancient villages, untouched countryside, delicious food or Oktoberfest (the annual German beer festival) Germany has it all. It can be the perfect romantic getaway, with lots to see and lots of time to relax or it can be a fun family holiday, with so many activities including visiting fairy tale villages and castles. So no matter what you're looking for this holiday, you'll most likely find it in Germany.
The high-speed Autobahn is definitely the fastest way to reach your destination, however it can be a bit daunting for those used to taking the slower routes. Here are a few must-do tips to ensure you're journey goes trouble free:
- Never pass on the right and always use your indicators
- Obey the speed limit or stick to the recommended speed if no limit applies
- Similar to driving in Australia, take a break every two hours
- If you're feeling stressed, get off the fast route and cruise for a while on the more scenic chilled roads. You'll be delighted you did once you realise what beauty you would have missed!
Recommended Self-Drive Routes in Germany
Germany's Romantic Road - Bavaria.
Follow your heart along the alluring Romantic Road in Southern Germany. This 420km long drive takes you from the Franconia wine country all the way to Neuschwanstein, the iconic fairy tale castle in the foothills of the German Alps. The scenic drive allows you to enjoy the beautiful, unspoiled Bavarian country side, which is dotted with quaint towns, romantic hotels, idyllic villages and hidden monasteries. But do keep in mind this stunning drive can get very crowded in the summer. ;
The German Fairy Tale Road - Hanau to Kassel
Take a step back into your childhood and explore the country of the Grimm Brothers along the Fairy Tale Road. The Grimm Brothers created many famous fairy tales including Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty and along this dazzling drive you can experience it all. You can take a hike in Little Red's forest, climb up the tower where Rapunzel let her hair down and visit the castle of sleeping beauty. The route is great for families, with lots of fun activities for kids to enjoy and it is especially lovely at Christmas time when Christmas markets lend their beauty.
The German Wine Road - Rhineland Palatinate
This scenic drive, starting in the southwest of Germany, snaking through the second largest wine growling region in Germany and ending on the border of France, is the country's oldest scenic drive. The route takes you through picturesque wine villages, charming restaurants, colourful vineyards and soak up some local tastes and flavours at cute farmers markets and wine festivals, which are celebrated all throughout late spring, summer and autumn.
Benefits of choosing Peugeot car leasing over car hire
Leasing allows you to discover Europe at your own pace, often for lower than the cost of car rental and is ideal for self-drive holidays of 21 to 175 days.
- Drive a brand new car
- Comes with a full factory warranty
- Leasing comes inclusive of insurance with no excess and no hidden extras
- Tax free, competitive leasing prices and economical to drive
- The extensive insurance permits you to drive through over 41 European countries hassle-free
- Collect and return at 28 convenient locations throughout Europe (additional fees may apply)